Sunday, October 21, 2012

Love With Food- October's Box

Ha ha ha Oh LWF, you have got to stop doing boxes with "kid" or "back to school" themes! I can't really relate :/ However if they wanted to do a "broke-college-student" themed box, well that would  be more up my alley.
Yet I do have to say that after looking at the products in the box, I was excited to try all of them because it really doesn't strike me as a "jump start the school year" box like the description card says.
 
First up are the Snikiddy All Natural Baked Fries in the cheddar cheese flavor. These are a crunchy snack that are gluten and wheat free and for the entire bag its only 130 calories. Personally, I don't really care for the cheddar cheese flavor. It tastes really fake or cheap to me. If these were in a garlic Parmesan or zesty lime flavor they would be great. The texture of the fries is great and they have a satisfying crunch.


 
This Cranberry Orange cookie from Natasha's Health Nut Cookies sounds pretty delicious. The cookies are made with almond meal and are all-natural as well as diabetic-safe, low-carb and gluten-free......and boy does it taste that way! It has a weird spongy texture, the flavor is bland but has an orange-peel after taste. I took one bite and was done. YUCK!
This packet of Enjoy Life "Mountain Mambo" mix says it is free of the 8 most common food allergens. It includes raw sunflower kernels, apples, and chocolate chips. There was no nutritional information on this .75 oz pack. I could smell the fruit as soon as I opened the pack. This was just ok. The texture was neat because it had seeds, dried fruits, and chocolate chips. The taste was ok. I have had worse, but I have also had better. Mostly the raisins and cranberries stood out, sometimes I got a hint of apple. All in all, this would not be something I would seek out for a trail mix.
 
This was interesting to see. Acai Strawberry White Sesame Strips by Mrs. May's Naturals. This one pack is a serving and is a whopping 10 g of fat and 160 calories. It is 100% natural and has only 7 ingredients. Kind of reminds me of a sesame seed larabar. I liked the nutty flavor that comes from the sesame seeds, but I think the berry flavoring threw me off. I only ate about half of this and had to toss the rest out. The texture of the bar was pretty good, not exactly crunchy and it kind of fell apart in your mouth. It also fell apart in my hands and all over my shirt and was pretty messy.
 
I love tea. Samples of tea are wonderful to get and I especially love organic ones. There are 6 flavors in this box, Basil Mint, Cardamom, Jasmine, Ginger, Chocolate and 2 Emperor's. I am not sure how to pronounce "pu-erh" or even what it means. Maybe "purer" or puri-tea"?  These are black tea blends and high in caffeine. The first one I tried was the Emperor's and it was very good. I steeped it for about 3 minutes and added one honey stick (listed below) and a touch of milk.



 
Three Blackberry Blossom Honey Straws from Nature's Kick were included and on the information card it says " snip off the ends of your honey stick and stir into your pu-erh tea. By themselves, these honey sticks are delicious! I don't usually like honey, but I was trying to get every drop out of these straws. It is a lighter texture than I am used to and I definitely tasted the blackberry blossom flavor. Mixed in the tea it was not sweet enough but on some toast with some butter it was perfect.
I was kind of happy to see this in my box. I have seen these in the supermarket but didn't want to pick one up and not like it. This Applesauce from Go-Go squeeZ is 100% fruit and in a neat little packet.  OMG Yum! This was a pleasant surprise! The texture was not too chunky and not too pureed. It tasted just like an applesauce with no junk in it should taste. I ate this in bed one night and I loved how I could re-cap it! I love this and I definitely will be looking for it in the grocery store :)
There was another card included for www.CloudMom.com which I don't need since I have no kids. I did like the  2 suggestions on the back for making pumpkin seeds and pumpkin puree though! If we end up getting a pumpkin this year, I am going to try both of these.
 
I did cancel my subscription to LWF after this box arrived. For the 3 months I have been subscribed, I really have not felt that $12 a box where I only like 1 or 2 items was worth it. The box theme's are more geared towards parents/kids and I simply can not relate. For my 3 months with Love with Food, I will say the boxes did come in a timely manner and the one time they were sent out late there was an email letting us know they were a day or two behind because of the holiday. Great sub box for more family oriented people :)
 
Jenn  
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment