Sunday, August 26, 2012

August Glossybox Product Reviews


Seriously quick shipping this month from Glossybox! The confirmation email was sent out with a tracking number and about a week later my box was delivered.


August's box theme is "Pure Luxury" and it is geared towards pampering yourself after a Summer of sun damage. This box features products infused with oils, vitamins and color. The Glossy Mag claims "make up with a burst of color" is the current trend and I am so on board with that! How awesome does a tan look with bright or neon colors? :)


On to the reviews!


  • Ellis Faas  Ellis Lips in L105- Creamy: The texture of this lip product is amazing! My lips were smooth, felt hydrated and the pigment in the product was nice and opaque....but the color is fucking terrible. No lie, it was like a shit brown color. Here is the link to the website with the color which describes it as "rusty brown"....well that's exactly what it was. I was kind of disappointed that Glossybox did not select a more universal color or one of the "neon" colors they were advertising in the mag. Both my mother and I tried it on (see pic to the right) and it looked equally terrible on the both of us. After we tried it and gathered all the info on it, we decided to donate it to the trash can. That was a waste of a $35 product :( I think I might have shed a tear.

  • Biolage ExquisiteOil Replenishing Treatment: If you know me, you know I love a good hair product! The sample is .16 fl oz and it will last for a while. I only used one and a half pumps (which was less than the size of a dime) and it went a long way. The formula is really light, not heavy like an oil, and it has a very uni-sex scent that is not very strong, like cologne. I put this on the ends of my hair and it was bouncy, was not weighed down, and did not make my hair look wet. When I tried to rinse the left over oil off my hands however, it took a bit of soap and elbow grease to get off all the residue. If I didn't have 3 other oils in my collection right now, I would buy this one. Since I do, I will have to wait until I use one up and at $22 for 3.1 oz its not that bad!

  • Ole Henriksen Truth Serum- This was a nice product to see in the box. I sometimes forget the importance of not just using moisturizer and anti-acne stuff on my face. This is a vitamin C complex that is supposed to help with lines and wrinkles and has moisturizers and skin firming ingredients. Going on it feels very light, has a nice thin texture, and smells like orange sunkist candies. It did end up being a bit sticky when I put it on initially, but it went away after about 10 minutes. It stayed just a tad sticky, but not any more so than when using a moisturizer. I wore this alone all day and I really liked it. My skin felt hydrated and dewy. I think it will work well layering with make up since it goes on in such a thin application. This is a bit pricey, at $48 for only 1 oz. so I do not think I will be purchasing this one, even though Glossybox included a card advertising a free sample of Truth Creme with $50 purchase.

  • Touch In Sol Feel Like Honey Moon Skin Base: Not totally getting the product name....well, I mean, I get it...but shouldn't it be "Feels Like a Honey Moon"? It would just read better. Anyway, this neat little product came in a 1.06 oz tube but a full size is 1.12 oz and retails for $20, so I will just go ahead and count this as another full sized product this month (which makes 3 including the next product). Not bad for just one box! I tried a pea-size amount of this product under my tinted moisturizer and it was very nice. The gel has, what looks like, gold flakes of something in it, it has a gel like texture but goes on nicely and leaves your skin dewy and hydrated and not sticky. It has a clean, citrus scent to it and a little goes a long way. I thought this was a pretty darn good primer for a tinted moisturizer and it didn't clump up when layered. It left my skin feeling very soft and smooth. This would definitely be a product that I would buy to wear as a primer or even alone.

  • Illamasqua LTD Nail Varnish in "Alarm": This full sized polish retails for $14 per bottle at Sephora and boasts that it is chip resistant. The color I received is described on Sephora as "bright flame red" and to me it is an orang-y red color. It is definitely a loud red. It has a decent formula, a little too on the liquid-y side for my taste. I prefer my polishes to have more of a thicker texture because I find they are easier to work with. One coat of this was almost fully opaque and it was nice and bright. I did not find that this varnish was any more chip resistant, however I don't tend to keep my polishes on for more than 3 days at a time :)
So that's August's Glossybox! There was about $72 worth of full sized products in this month's box and while I did have to pitch that gross color of lip replenishing treatment :( I did find an awesome primer and a new hair product! Now I need to be patient for my first Sample Society Box (referral code JENN906995) and my first Pop Sugar Must Have Bag!

Jenn

No comments:

Post a Comment